Renting with Adams Estate Agents in Winchcombe & The Cotswolds

We know searching for a rental home is never easy, time is limited and every second counts so we try to match you with a property that best suits your requirements as quickly as possible.

At Adams we have a highly experienced team who will provide you with valuable professional advice and assistance throughout the whole letting process from viewing, selecting a property, applying for it, signing up, all the way through your occupation of the property.

As we are professional ARLA regulated letting agents you can also be confident that when managing your let we will always respond and deal with any issues or enquiries that arise promptly and fairly.

What happens once I’ve viewed a property that I like?

It is important that you contact the relevant Adams office as soon as possible in order to register your interest in the property and, if it is available and your situation and timescale appear acceptable to the landlord, you will need to pay a ‘holding fee’ to apply for the rental and to reserve it, subject to contract. The fee must be paid in cleared funds to us and we recommend direct bank transfer.

What references are required, and what will I need to provide?

Referencing is always required and is carried out by a professional referencing agency. We use a company called Van Mildert who make the process simple and share the information obtained with us. It should be appreciated that no tenancy will be granted until satisfactory referencing has been received, passed and approved. Each person relating to the tenancy will be required to fill in a referencing form and this is normally done via their ‘user-friendly’ online system. If a Guarantor is required they will also need to be referenced and approved. Additionally, and depending on your personal circumstances, the following will also be required:-


All applicants, including guarantors (where applicable), will be required to provide a current Passport or Birth Certificate in combination with a photographic identification which can include a Driving Licence or National Identity Card. Non EU applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Biometric Residence Permit or current Visa, together with their Passport containing a UK immigration stamp.

Income and other details

The referencing company will need to assess your income so they will require your employer details to obtain confirmation of your employment and income and you may also be asked to provide wage slips, bank statements and details of pension income. A previous landlord’s reference will also be sought (if applicable). They will require proof of residency from a recent utility bill (no older than 3 months prior to the commencement date of the tenancy). This may be gas, electric, water, telephone landline bill or your most recent council tax bill.

Monies required on or before commencement

RENT – It is usual for rent to be paid monthly in advance by Standing Order but with the first month’s rent being paid in cleared funds just before commencement.

DEPOSIT/BOND - A security deposit is required which is the equivalent of 5 week’s rent. The deposit is returnable at the end of the tenancy providing that the property is left in a clean and proper order and there are no damages or costs resulting from a failure to comply with the tenanct terms . The deposit will be registered and protected by a Government approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme such as the Deposit Protection Service (DPS)

CLICK HERE to see Tenant Payments

What happens the day I take possession of the property?

When the day arrives for you to take possession of your property we will have already agreed a convenient time for you to visit our office to collect the keys and complete all the necessary paperwork.

The appointment will last for approximately 20 minutes and you will be given the relevant safety certificates (where applicable), Energy Performance Certificate, utilities information and details of the Deposit registration. You will also be provided with a very detailed inventory describing the condition of the property and its contents. You will have the opportunity to check the inventory, make any relevant amendments, and return it to us within 3 days.

Before we can release the keys, all parties aged 18 and over will need to have signed the tenancy agreement, and all remaining monies must be paid in full. We recommend payment by bank transfer. For security reasons we discourage cash payments.

How long am I committed for?

It will depend on the length and terms of your tenancy agreement. The most common fixed period is 6 months, In this instance you would be obligated for the first 6 months, and should you wish to vacate you would need to give one month’s notice in writing, ending no sooner than the end of the initial 6 months. We often agree terms of 12 months as well so you should bear in mind whatever term you commit to you, you are agreeing to pay the rent and meet your obligations for the full term agreed.

After the initial term the landlord/tenant may want another fixed term tenancy drawn up or may agree to it ‘rolling on’ without the requirement to sign another contract. This is known as a ‘statutory periodic tenancy’ running on a month by month basis on the same terms and conditions. If the landlord requires possession of the property then he would have to provide you with 2 months’ notice, again not expiring sooner than the end of the term.

‘Break Clauses’ may be included in tenancies which may allow either party to end earlier than the expiry date but an Assured Shorthold tenancy cannot be terminated until at least 4 months have passed.

Client Money Protection


Reference number: C005568

View our CMP Certificate HERE

View the Property Ombudsman Complaints form HERE

View the Accounting/Conduct/Membership Rules HERE